Glossary Terms

No Picture


A motion for a chamber to “recede and concur” on a bill typically occurs in the Maine State Legislature when the House and the Senate have voted in opposite directions on the passage of a bill. A motion to “recede and concur” is a motion…

No Picture

SP: Senate Paper

In the Maine State Legislature, bills that are proposed by a member of the Senate are given a label SP, short for Senate Paper. The system of bill numbers can be confusing to the newcomer because bills have multiple numbers associated with them: Before a…