Contact Information | Committees | Sponsored Bills | Bill Cosponsorship Partners | District 6 in Context | Campaign Finance Profile | In The News
- Party: Republican
- Senate District: 6
- Mailing Address: 159 Dodge Road, Whiting ME 4691
- Phone: 733-8856
- E-mail: David.Burns@legislature.maine.gov
- Sen. Burns’s campaign finance report
- Twitter: burnsforsenate
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/State-Senator-David-Burns/370379046344367
Problem retrieving data from Twitter
Committees of which Sen. Burns is a member:
- LD 252: An Act To Increase Transparency of Entities Receiving Substantial Amounts of Public Funding
- LD 253: An Act To Improve Permit Oversight for the Cutting of Christmas Trees and Evergreen Boughs
- LD 295: An Act To Promote Tidal Energy Projects
- LD 296: An Act To Increase Economic Development in Rural Communities by Expanding Hunting Opportunities
- LD 429: An Act To Modify the Disbursement from the Maine Economic Improvement Fund
- LD 430: An Act To Assist Municipalities To Obtain Payment of Overdue Sewer Bills
- LD 431: An Act To Strengthen the Laws Prohibiting Stalking
- LD 432: An Act To Exempt Fuel Purchased for Off-road Use in Commercial Construction and Wood Harvesting Equipment from Sales and Use Tax
- LD 522: An Act To Clarify a Recently Enacted Law Designed To Expand the Number of Qualified Educators
- LD 729: An Act To Add Acetylfentanyl to the List of Schedule W Drugs
- LD 848: An Act To Increase the Safety of Hunting
- LD 849: An Act To Protect Young Bucks
- LD 866: An Act To Ensure Efficiency and Safety in the Bureau of Forestry
- LD 1007: Resolve, To Study the Tax Exemption Provided to Nonprofit Entities
- LD 1014: An Act To Ensure Confidentiality of Personally Identifying Information for Private Investigators, Investigative Assistants and Dependents of Deployed Members of the Military
- LD 1016: An Act To Allow Retired Marine Patrol Officers To Obtain up to 2 Marine Fisheries Licenses
- LD 1077: An Act To Ensure Access to Public Health Nursing Care and Child and Maternal Health Nursing Care in Washington County
- LD 1078: An Act To Preserve MaineCare Assisted Living by Providing a Cost-of-living Adjustment to Private Nonmedical Institutions and Adult Family Care Homes
- LD 1079: Resolve, To Support and Encourage the Expansion of Adult Family Care Services at Residential Care Facilities
- LD 1096: An Act To Create the Crime of Intentional Interference with Business Operations
- LD 1200: An Act To Create a Civil Cause of Action for Intentional Interference with Business Operations
- LD 1233: An Act To Improve Enforcement of Maine’s Marine Resources Laws
- LD 1243: An Act To Make the Law Regarding Critical Incident Stress Management Teams More Beneficial and Effective
- LD 1272: An Act To Strengthen the Protections for Senior Citizens in the State
- LD 1326: An Act To Require Labeling of All Genetically Modified Products
- LD 1333: An Act To Ensure Economic Stability in Washington County
- LD 1334: An Act To Authorize a General Fund Bond Issue To Repair and Renovate the Former Cutler Naval Base in Washington County To Facilitate Development and Stimulate the Economy
- LD 1340: An Act To Enact the Preservation of Religious Freedom Act
- LD 1399: An Act To Improve Natural Gas Price Competitiveness for Maine’s Manufacturers
- LD 1433: An Act To Create the Office of the Public Defender and Amend the Duties of the Commission on Indigent Legal Services
- LD 1439: An Act To Establish a Secure Internet-based Background Check Center for Providers of Long-term Care, Child Care and In-home and Community-based Services
- LD 1455: An Act To Make a Technical Correction to a Recently Enacted Law Regarding the Appointment of District Court Judges
- LD 1526: An Act To Permit Disclosure of Certain Intelligence and Investigative Record Information by a Criminal Justice Agency to a Nongovernmental Advocacy Program for Persons with Mental Illness
- LD 1527: An Act To Facilitate MaineCare Assisted Living by Providing a Cost-of-living Adjustment to Private Nonmedical Institutions and Adult Family Care Homes
- LD 1533: An Act To Provide an Annual Cost-of-living Adjustment to Nursing Facilities To Further Implement the Recommendations of the Commission To Study Long-term Care Facilities
- LD 1534: An Act To Reduce the Trafficking of Illegal Drugs in the State
- LD 1536: An Act To Provide Ballistic Vests to State Law Enforcement Officers
- LD 1562: An Act To Make Technical Changes to the Laws Governing Child Support
- LD 1565: An Act To Attract and Retain Medical Examiners by Increasing the Fees for Services Provided by Medical Examiners
- LD 1639: An Act To Implement the Recommendations of the Intergovernmental Pretrial Justice Reform Task Force
Bill Cosponsorship Partners
Every legislator works more often with some colleagues than with others. The following are the ten fellow legislators with whom Sen. Burns has cosponsored legislation most often in the 127th Legislature:
- Sen. Paul Davis: 57 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Sen. Thomas Saviello: 40 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Rep. Joyce Maker: 36 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Sen. Roger Katz: 36 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Rep. William Tuell: 29 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Sen. Kimberley Rosen: 25 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Sen. Rodney Whittemore: 24 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Sen. Ronald Collins: 22 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Rep. Robert Alley: 19 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
- Rep. Ricky Long: 18 bills cosponsored with Sen. Burns.
District 6 in Context
Understanding the political actions of Senator Burns in full context requires some information about the district he represents. The charts and graphs you see below draw from the 2009-2013 cycle of the American Community Survey, an ongoing project of the U.S. Census Bureau. Graphs describe details about both the kinds of community to be found in a legislative district and the experiences of people who live there.
To find more information about the county, town, congressional district or state legislative district in which you live, you may access the American Community Survey through the Census Bureau’s American FactFinder web page.
Travel Time to Work in Senate District 6:
Percent of District 6 Residents who are Veterans of the U.S. Military:
Educational Attainment of the Residents of Senate District 6:
Dependency Ratio in District 6:
Dependency ratio is a demographic term that refers to the number of people who are not of typical working age (0-14 or 65+ years old) for every 100 people who are of typical working age.
Sex Ratio: Number of Males per 100 Females in Senate District 6:
Campaign Finance Data for Sen. Burns in the 2014 Election Cycle
(as categorized by the Maine Ethics Commission):
Source of Campaign Contributions for Sen. Burns: Inside or Outside his District?
Includes all contributions for which addresses are provided. Does not include Maine Clean Elections Act funds.)
Source of Campaign Contributions for Sen. Burns: Inside or Outside the State of Maine?
(Includes all contributions for which addresses are provided. Does not include Maine Clean Elections Act Funds)
Source of Campaign Contributions for Sen. Burns: What Kind of Contributor?
Incorporated Groups (Businesses, Non-Profit Organizations, Political Action Committees, Party Committees, and other unregistered political groups) directly contributing to Sen. Burns in the 2013-2014 election cycle:
- Altria Client Services
- Anheuser Busch
- ASSOCIATED BUILDERS AND CONTRACTORS OF MAINE PAC
- CARIBOU NURSING HOME INC
- CARTER ENTERPRISES
- CHARTING MAINE’S FUTURE
- CHERRYFIELD FOODS INC.
- Cianbro Corporation
- Davis Long Term Care Group
- DENTAL CARE FOR ME
- DOYLE & NELSON LAW OFFICES
- FEDERAL DISTRIBUTORS INC
- H. A. Mapes Inc.
- HALCYON FUNDY TIDAL POWER LLC
- DIRIGO PAC
- LogistiCare Solutions LLC
- Maine Association of Realtors
- MAINE BANKERS ASSOCIATION
- Maine Credit Union League
- Maine Distributors
- MAINE HEALTH CARE ASSOCIATION
- MAINE INNKEEPERS ASSOCIATION
- Merrill’s Investigations & Security LLC
- MILLENNIUM MARINE USA
- Mitchell Tardy Government Affairs
- Nappi Distributors
- National Distributors
- National Rifle Association
- OCEAN RENEWAL POWER CO.
- CAPITAL LEADERSHIP PAC
- Pine State Trading Co
- Spectra Energy
- THE R.M. FLAGG CO.
- THE WAFT
- USA ENERGY GROUP LLC
- VALLEY DISTRIBUTORS INC.
- Verrill Dana LLP
- Hancock County Republican Committee
- HANCOCK COUNTY REPUBLICAN WOMEN’S CLUB
- LEADERSHIP FOR MAINE’S FUTURE
- Maine Senate Republican Majority
- MAINE TRUCK PAC
- Paving The Way For A Prosperous Maine
- RESPECT MAINE
- RETAIL MAINE PAC
- SOUND SCIENCE FOR MAINE PAC
- VALUE VOTERS PAC
In The News…
Recent news stories featuring Senator Burns:
- Portland Press Herald: Maine committee opposes concealed gun bill in party-line vote
- Portland Press Herald: LePage veto of overdose antidote bill leaves lawmakers with hard choice, grim consequences
- Kennebec Journal: Maine closer to allowing no-prescription access to Narcan overdose antidote
- Portland Press Herald: Maine Senate reaffirms ‘In God We Trust’ as U.S. motto
- Portland Press Herald: Maine lawmakers reject ‘parental consent’ abortion bill
- Portland Press Herald: Plan now calls for $150 million expansion of Maine Correctional Center
- Kennebec Journal: Maine Sen. Tom Saviello requests probe of LePage-Eves controversy
- Portland Press Herald: LePage’s top lawyer up for judge confirmation as dispute with attorney general heats up
This information was last updated on 2016-05-07.
The Open Maine Politics website is in a beta release and results should be checked against current data at the the official website of the Maine State Legislature.